5 Things You Need to Know Today, 8/20
Probably not a beach day.
1) Cloudy today, with a chance of showers, and cool, with temperatures in the low 70s. The clouds will likely linger into the evening and overnight, with more rain a possibility, and temperatures in the low 60s.
2) Mondays are packed with activities for seniors at the Falmouth Senior Center. Osteo Prevention exercise class begins at 9:15 a.m. Next up is Line Dancing, at 11 a.m.. Artistic seniors can try their hands at Oil and Water Painting and Stained Glass, beginning at 1 p.m. Also at 1, those of a more linguistic bent can bring their boards for Scrabble. For more information on any of these programs, call (508) 540-0196.
3) The Cape Cod Dance Center Annex Studio hosts Zumba Gold, an exercise program combining Latin and international dance steps. People of all ages and fitness levels are invited to participate. Each class is $8, or you can register for multiple sessions: $36 for six classes, $60 for 12. For more information, email KellyJohnson@kellyloveszumba.com.
4) The Mashpee Public Library invites children of all ages to its weekly pair of story hours. At 10 a.m., it's Toddle Time with Miss Rosemary, intended for kids up to age four. Then at 1:30 p.m. it's Preschool Story Hour, presented by Mrs. Burke and meant for children four and up. To learn more about either story hour, call (508) 539-1435, extension 3001.
5) This day in history: the first around-the-world telegram is sent (1911); the USSR announces its test of a hydrogen bomb (1953); and NASA launches the Voyager II probe, carrying a golden recored intended for extraterrestrials (1977).