Invite a friend
National Cancer Survivors Day at FPL
Cape Cod Healthcare and the Cancer Resource Center at the Falmouth Public Library are collaborating this year to celebrate National Cancer Survivors Day on Saturday, June 9 from 1-4pm at the Falmouth Public Library.
Three renowned speakers will highlight this year’s event:
- Author Anne LeClaire of Chatham, who has written a number of books, including The Lavender Hour. which portrays the vulnerability cancer survivors, and Listening Below the Noise, which describes intentional silence as a path to healing and creativity.
- Julian Seifter, Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School, author of After the Diagnosis: Transcending Chronic Illness,and an internationally known speaker on scientific, medical and ethical subjects.
- Karen Smyers, a world-class Ironman Triathlete, mother, coach, speaker, and cancer survivor.
Falmouth Hospital General Surgeon Peter Hopewood, MD, the state chair for the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer, will provide welcome remarks at the celebration.
“There are 12 million cancer survivors in America now, including many on Cape Cod,” Dr. Hopewood said. “This event is a celebration of life and proof that life after a cancer diagnosis is still meaningful and productive, and that hope and faith can triumph over adversity.”
U.S. Rep. William Keating and State Senate President Therese Murray will also address the gathering.
The event will feature a strawberry shortcake social on the Library Lawn under a big tent, as well as smaller gazebos for displays, handouts and refreshments; musical entertainment; and the Quilt of Hope, with squares contributed by local cancer survivors to celebrate their resilience and determination.
The 25th annual National Cancer Survivors Day is celebrated worldwide. All local survivors, family and friends are welcome to join in for music, survivorship speakers, fellowship, food and fun. Call 508-862-7825 to register for the event or for more information.
More About Falmouth Public Library
The beautiful, recently renovated Falmouth Public Library holds the title of being the largest public library on Cape Cod. The Main Library provides services to adults and children such as story times, book groups, summer reading programs and special programs that change throughout the year. It also serves as a reference and information center, featuring thousands of books and magazines. Museum passes, computers, access to databases and periodicals are just a few of the other services you will find at the library.
Other events here
- Afternoon Parent Chat Weekly on Thursdays, 1:00 pm–2:00 pm
- Falmouth Genealogical Society Help at the Falmouth Library Weekly on Tuesdays, 2:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Library Board of Trustees Monthly, 7:00 pm
- SONGS of the SEA Wed, Jun 12, 7:00 pm–8:15 pm
- Arts Alive Festival '13 Fri, Jun 21, 5:00 pm–9:00 pm
- Arts Alive Festival '13 Sat, Jun 22, 10:00 am–9:00 pm
- Arts Alive Festival '13 Sun, Jun 23, 11:00 am–5:00 pm
- Cultural Survival Bazaar Daily, 10:00 am–5:00 pm