TV-watching games used to be about drinking —
slugging back a beer every time someone said "Hi, Bob!"
on one of Bob Newhart's shows, for instance.
There was also a way-too-complicated version dreamed up by the Yalies who created the "Complete Book of Beer Drinking Games" and its "Exploitative Sequel." This game involved MTV, back when it was still a music channel, and had many rules including "Everyone must drink when the Apollo rocket takes off and the little guy on the moon plants the MTV flag."
Fast-forward a generation and it's no longer about swilling flab-adding alcohol, but quite the reverse: The latest TV game on the entertainment scene demands push-ups, not elbow bends.
"EVERY SHIRTLESS SHOT = 4 PUSH-UPS," hollers the Facebook page for "The Vineyard," the ABC Family series that's been lathering up the screen since late July.
The show's "ABSOLUTELY AWESOME WORKOUT" could wind up burning almost as many calories as any old-school drinking game would have added: Falmouth Patch has painstakingly observed every minute of the first five episodes of "The Vineyard" and concluded that (male) shirtlessness is a prominent motif.
But add two ab crunches for every sleeveless shirt (male) and backless dress (female) and you've got a workout truly worthy of the show whose cast the Boston Globe's Matthew Gilbert called "mannequins on the beach."
If you've watched any of "The Vineyard," filmed on Martha's Vineyard in May and June, you'll know what he means.
More about "The Vineyard" -
- Warning: 'The Vineyard' Will Rot Your Brain
- Tweeting 'The Vineyard': 'I Hate That I Like This Show'
- 'The Vineyard' TV Show: 'Wow This is Bad'
- ‘The Vineyard’ TV Show Panned, But Fans Tune In
- 'The Vineyard' TV Show Gets Scathing Reactions on Facebook
- Snark Attack: TV Reviewers Boo 'The Vineyard'
- 'The Vineyard' TV Cast Introduced
- Casting Begins for 'The Vineyard' Reality TV Show
- Is 'Vineyard' Reality TV Show "Worst Idea Ever"?
- Reality TV Show 'The Vineyard' Announced