1) Today we'll have snow showers and a high near 38. New snow accumulation of less than one inch is possible. Tonight we'll have snow showers, mainly before 11pm, and a low around 23.
2) Got a kid ages 7-11? Then come on out to the today at 10am for a workshop on making a Valentine's candy house with Sandy Valpey Cordts. The cost is $25. Be the architect and contractor of your own Valentine's house! A large variety of candies will be provided to build and decorate the house, as well as the landscape.
3) In the spirit of the 2012 "What’s Falmouth Reading?" selection, Seen the Glory by John Hough, Jr., the is offering a movie series with a Civil War theme on six consecutive Saturdays at 1pm. The series kicks off today with the Academy Award winning film Glory (1989, Rated R) starring Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman and Matthew Broderick. It highlights the heroism of the the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, America's first African American regiment in the Civil War.
4) The will be offering the next in its series of Winter Travel Talks today at 3pm. The speakers will be veteran travelers Rich and Ellie Armstrong, who have presented tales of their walking trips several times in previous years. This year, they have been walking in Provence, in southwest France, specifically in the Vaucluse and Luberon regions in the foothills of the Alps. Rich and Ellie will show their photographs and talk about their trip in the lower level large meeting room in the library, which is handicapped accessible. This event is free and open to the public.
5) This day in history: actor Burt Reynolds is born (1936); GM signs the first autoworkers' contract (1937); and Nelson Mandela is released from prison (1990).